In my previous post, I wrote about my canopy bed. Now that I had a bed that looked like something out of a fairy-tale I desperately needed a better bedside table. I had just been using an old metal filing cabinet. It was functional, but didn’t look all that great. So for my next project, I decided to make a table. And what goes well with a fairy-tale bed? A mushroom, of course! Thus the mushroom table was born. While designing the table, I struggled through all sorts of very impractical ideas that would have made a 3D surface in the shape of a mushroom (fiberglass, papier-mâché, lots of thin bent wood strips, etc.). None of these seemed very workable, and furthermore, I didn’t really like the looks of these designs. I wanted something a bit more artistic. As I worked at the design I decided that I didn’t really want to make an exact mushroom shape – I just wanted to give a suggestion of a mushroom. And then it occurred to me that I could use flat sheets of wood to build up the correct envelope (outline) of a mushroom in three dimensions. The resulting table is shown in the pictures (note that some of the pictures show the table in my living room before I moved it into the bedroom).
The larger sheets of wood are a fairly nice grade of 3/4″ birch plywood. The edges are covered with birch edge banding. I stained the mushroom head pieces with a brownish-red wood stain and used artist’s acrylics as a thin wash. The mushroom stalk got a similar treatment, though with white, green, and bronze iridescent acrylics. I then sanded the parts, sanding more in what could be high wear areas to give it a bit of a rustic feel. I cut out circles from decorative paper and découpaged them onto the mushroom’s top surfaces (a fairy tale mushroom needs polka dots!). Then I finished it off with a couple coats of polyurethane varnish.